Thursday, January 9

So Jet-lagged I can't read anything without falling asleep.

    Well, my first full day is over with (sorta) and I have to say, it was AMAZING. Last night, we were smelly, exhausted, and ready to stretch our legs, shower, and go to sleep. We are ahead of Utah by 9 hours and it really took its toll on everyone in the group today. In our afternoon orientations we were all glassy eyed and yawning and Dr. Whitchurch said we looked miserable--but we're the exact opposite. There are 82 of us--for the first time in the history of the center the boys outnumber the girls. I think there are 2 more, so it isn't a huge disparity, but in the past (before the sister missionary age was dropped) it was more like a 3-1 ratio.
    They took us in groups of about 9 or so on a quick tour through the old city today to get a feel for it. It looks a lot like cities in Europe. There were two guys who served in the Rome, Italy mission in my group and we all thought it looked a lot like Italy (except the domes were mosques and not Catholic churches). The buildings are all white (but dirty) limestone and the streets are really narrow, particularly in the old city. For the most part it smells really awesome because of all the hot bread being sold. My favorite stores we past are the following:
1. A souvenir shop that had signs reading "huge discounts for brave tourists" and "free wifi for patient husbands"
2. A shop selling kippas with your favorite sports team and other notable pop culture icons, such as Spongebob.
3. "Holy Bagels"
    We're getting acquainted with each other really quickly, and even though I don't know all their names, I know every face. It's a really awesome atmosphere, like every person here is your friend and it's hard to decide where to sit down at meals or meetings because you can honestly and fearlessly sit anywhere.
    Speaking of fear, when it gets warmer they've warned us not to leave our balcony doors open because snakes could come into our rooms. I wish they hadn't told me that. I'm 1,000% paranoid now.
    The building is GORGEOUS and the food in the Oasis (cafeteria) is spectacular. They have taken really great care of this building and we're all awestruck to be living here. They rotate all different kinds of food and ALL of it is good and pretty healthy, too. In one of our orientation packets they told us to weigh ourselves to make sure we don't lose or gain too much weight while we're here. My roommates and I have been laughing about that one. I was wondering why would randomly place a scale out next to the bottom of the staircase on the 5th floor.
    I'd love to say more, but I honestly have a ton of homework to be reading right now and if I don't keep on top of it I'll never have time to go wander the city!

No comments:

Post a Comment